Summer's Bounty

The bounty of summer is upon us and Vivi and I have been two little worker bees in the kitchen. Last week we picked up a few pounds of kirby cukes at our local farm which we promptly turned into pickles.


My husband and Vivi are real pickle connoisseurs and they both gave them two enthusiastic thumbs up.  The babies were also impressed.  If you want to give it a go yourself, here is the easy recipe from Real Simple.

Saturday took us to the Farmer's Market where I picked up about thirty pounds of perfectly ripe tomatoes for $10.  It was a bargain that I couldn't pass up even though I had no idea how I was going to fit all those tomatoes in the stroller. (Luckily, my husband showed up just in time to carry them the mile home.)

Vivi and I blanched and peeled the tomatoes resulting in six quart jars.  Here is just one:


Before I became.... hmmm... how should I put this....encumbered by these rascals:


I would have properly canned those tomatoes, just like someone's grandma used to do.  Alas, I had neither the time or the energy, so I just put those jars in our deep freezer.  That's when Vivi and I made an unusual discovery.

The placentas from Jude and Ellie's birth.

(Aren't you glad I didn't post a picture here?)

Now before you get all grossed out,  (is it too late?) I was not saving these things to consume later. That would be freaky and really disgusting. What happened was my midwives put them (all wrapped up in colored plastic and not visible in their bag) in the freezer until trash day.  Well, trash day has come and gone about 90 times since my Turtles were born and we have just never remembered to put them out.  (In the freezer, out of mind so to speak.)

So when Vivi and I discovered them, we decided to take a look.  We let them thaw in their plastic for the entire afternoon.  When they were ready to be uncovered, we sat in the backyard and opened them up.  It was fascinating.  Jude and Ellie's sacs were so well defined and the cords connecting the placentas to their belly buttons were completely intact.  I was amazed that not only did I grow these organs I was now holding in my hands but I also grew the two little babies that lived inside.  Needless to say, Vivi was enthralled and wanted me to explain every little bit to her.

When our inspection was done, it was time to dispose of the placentas.  I had really mixed feelings about throwing them in the big green bin since they felt like anything BUT trash. Still, I was not prepared to dig a really big hole and knew the freezer was not a suitable home for them either so in they went.  At that moment, I said a little prayer of thanks for my body, my children, and the wonderful food we grow and prepare as a family and community.  These things are the bounty that will last long after summer passes.

Comments

  1. thirty pounds for $10! That is a great price! Our tomatoes didn't turn out this year, so I need to find a deal like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?