Vampires

Much to the neglect of my family, I am fully engrossed in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga. I will be the first to admit that a young adult book about vampires who have sworn off human blood wouldn't normally be at the top of my must-read list but I am sucked in (pretty clever pun, eh?) and with only a book and a half to go, I must finish.

Normally, I am not the type to jump on the mass-market book bandwagon. I missed the whole Harry Potter thing while I was in Peace Corps and never felt the desire to pick up the book upon my return. Science fiction has never really been my thing so when my friend MiNa gave me the Twilight book "just in case" I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, I thought that I would politely return it to her a week or so later with the usual "too busy" excuse.

Then I curiously read the first few pages and well, you see where this is heading. It's not that the book is well-written. It isn't. The story, however, is something that I find incredibly fascinating. What if vampires could fall in love with humans and vice versa? Ahhh, the complications!

Since vampires seem to have settled in as part of our cultural ethos, it is only natural that one of my dearest friend's books should be part of this literary coven. Soulless by Gail Carriger is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking. Who could ask for more?

The book is being released today and I encourage my readers to check it out. Like Gail herself, it is bound to be entertaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?