Camp

This morning we shipped Vivi off to camp. I never envisioned camp for a three-year-old but by mid-June I was pretty certain that I was going to need some help at the end of August if I wanted to survive the summer with my sanity intact. So all this week my little spitfire will be getting her kicks from 8:30 until 3:30 under someone else's supervision.

Last night, in the heat and chaos of our "vacation" week coming to an end, I was ironing name labels into Vivi's clothes and packing lunches. My husband was beginning the mental and organizational adjustment of returning to work and we all were feeling a bit excited and anxious about the whole prospect of the two of them being out of the house all day.

Vivi went to bed at about 8 and by 8:30 I had climbed in with her. I wanted to snuggle and hold onto my first baby who is so much a kid that I can hardly stand it. "Mama, you can sleep in my bed tonight," she said. When I told her that I would take up too much space in her bed, she said, "well, you can sleep on my futon then." I don't know if she was sensing my insecurity or expressing her own. I sang her Good Night, My Angel while we snuggled and then kissed her goodnight.

As I was creeping out of her room, Vivi asked, "Mama, can I take some string cheese in my lunch tomorrow?"

"Yes, love."

"And the noodles in the green bowl?"

"Yes."

"And some blueberries?"

"Okay."

"And some goldfish for my after lunch snack?"

"Sure, sweetheart."

And then I went downstairs and repacked her lunch.

Comments

  1. I hope Vivi enjoys camp. What a sweet story about the snuggling and the repacking of the lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of the snuggling. I know exactly what that's about, and yes, they do know how we feel and are thankfully kind in indulging us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?