Practice

Wednesday started off as a really promising day. It was sunny and warm and I got quite a few things done including going to the grocery store, cooking a fabulous dinner for my husband's friend and daughter who were in town, and meeting with my midwife.

The prenatal appointment was the high point. My midwife continued to be impressed with my low blood pressure and absence of swelling. My Group B Strep test came back negative and there was no protein in my urine-- all great signs. She said, "I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news for you but I think you can carry these babies to 40 weeks." I told her it was great news and I was feeling great!

Well, then 4:30 hit and I could barely move. I was EXHAUSTED beyond measure. My husband arrived home from work and I told him that I was feeling really off and I wasn't sure I could be good company for his friends. Then I felt guilty and stayed up through dinner anyway. His friends left at 8:30 and I was in bed at 8:35.

Well, I guess I overdid it because I awoke at 11:00 with a contraction. I told myself that it was just Braxton-Hicks and tried to get back to sleep. I really couldn't. They were coming at 10 minute intervals from 11:00 until 5:30 a.m. I'd fall asleep during them and would be shocked to see that I'd only been out ten minutes instead of the half hour I thought. I was up and down all night- walking the house, rolling on my yoga ball, just willing it to stop. It wasn't that it was super painful. It was more that I really wanted and needed to sleep.

I was a mess most of the day yesterday. Sleeping off and on all day. I couldn't eat and get comfortable. Even though the contractions had long stopped, my back was aching. Finally, I gave up and went to bed for good at 7:00 last night.

My midwife called this "practice labor." Her advice was to have a glass of wine after a couple of hours and it should knock the contractions out. If it doesn't, I'll know I'm in the midst of the real thing. Although the thought of any alcohol is totally unappealing to me, I agreed with her point that I shouldn't have to suffer if I'm not progressing toward anything.

I'm feeling better today and planning on taking things really easy until the real thing starts. I don't think a 40 week gestation is in my future but any extra time I can buy for these babies in utero will serve us all.

Comments

  1. You're doing great. Rest while (if?) you can. A 7:00 bedtime and a glass of wine sounds like a great night to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, how exciting! Remember, you're in the clear. 36 weeks is considered full-term for twins! I'm so impressed, by the way, with your organizational skills! They will serve you well in the months to come!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?