Root, Root, Root for the Home Team

My husband and I used to be big baseball fans. When I was living in Boston, it was nearly impossible not be sucked into the ups and downs of the Red Sox. It was depressing and euphoric almost always at the same time and that was wonderful.

During our courtship and first year of marriage, my husband and I had regular dates watching the games on TV or occasionally seeing them in person. It was a happy time for us until three terrible things happened: The Red Sox won the World Series for the first time in a zillion years which made it impossible to go to a game without mortgaging our house. Then the Red Sox establishment decided that they would make more money airing their games on cable which effectively removed us from the viewing equation. (We being antenna-type folks and all.) Lastly, and most devastating, Johnny Damon left the team. Now this might not seem like a big deal to most folks but Johnny D was the Red Sox for me. It wasn't the beard or his way with words or his superior talent in center field. It was that he never got into fights and just seemed like a real team player that really did it for me. (FYI to all of you people who think I was just a poser who jumped on the bearded Johnny D bandwagon, I would like to say that I was his fan long before it was cool and I harbor no ill feelings toward him for his departure.)

So it is fair to say that there hasn't been a whole lot of baseball for us in the last couple of years. We've been mildly content to check the scores in the paper and leave it at that. That is, until last night, when my dear husband had the great idea to take Vivi to see the Pawtucket Red Sox! It's not quite the spectacle that Fenway is but I think that might be a good thing. Our evening cost us about $20 (including the cost of a bright blue ice pop for Vivi) and we still got to see some good baseball (including a home run by a rehabbing David Ortiz.) The parking was easy, the field is nice, and there weren't any drunken frat boys spilling beer on us. All in all, it was quite a success. Just ask Vivi:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?