Pottying for a Purpose

Vivi has entered the realm of potty-training and it is an exciting time in our house. I am SOOOO over diapers and luckily, she's starting to feel that way too. I've tried to do my part for the environment by using cloth diapers and letting her go "nakey" whenever it seemed like there was little danger to our rugs or couch or beds. (See previous posts about how well THAT has worked!)

Lately, however, I've found myself in a bit of an environmental quandary. With Vivi peeing as much as four times an hour on her potty, what do I do with all that urine? I know that right now the words "just flush it" are running through your head and generally that's what I've been doing. Every time I pull the handle though, I think about how much water I use to flush a little bit of pee. I've tried just collecting it in the grown-up toilet and flushing once an hour but I have to say that there are times when I forget and well, that's kinda gross.


Thanks to the Crunchy Chicken blog, I have found a solution! It's all going to our garden. That's right! One part urine + ten parts water = a wonderful fertilizer and potential squirrel deterrent. (See previous post about our ongoing battle with squirrels.) Now, before you get totally grossed out, my husband and I aren't about to go peeing in a pitcher just to take one for the earth but with Vivi's small deposits and far less water than a typical flush, why not use something that would be sitting in a bowl anyway?

For those of you who are intrigued by this idea and want to take it a step further, why don't you join Crunchy Chicken's Golden Showers Garden Party this Saturday?

Golden Showers Garden Party - 6/21/08

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?