Recipes

It's another summer Saturday and I've already broken my promise of posting a recipe every weekend. I think I am going to institute an exception for weekends when we are away. Hey, that's the beauty of being a grown-up with her own blog-- I get to make the rules up as I go. (Hmmm.... that's also kind of how I parent.)

Anyway, here are two of our favorites. Hope you enjoy them!

EXTRA MINTY TABBOULI

1 cup dry bulghar wheat
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 packed cup fresh mint leaves
1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley (1 t. if dried)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cuke, skin removed and diced

Combine bulghar, boiling water, and salt in a bowl. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes, or until bulghar is chewable.

Add lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, mint, and parsley to bulghar and mix thoroughly. Let rest in refrigerator for at least two hours. (You can skip this step if you are rushed for time but the flavor just gets better the longer it is able to rest. I usually make this the night before of the morning of the day I am going to serve it.)

Just before serving, add tomatoes and cuke and combine.

For a perfect kid friendly dinner, smear some hummus on a whole wheat pita. Pile on some tabbouli and add a little feta. Then roll up, cut into rounds, and it's the perfect size for little hands. (We eat these in our backyard to minimize cleaning up little bulghar bits!)


SLOW COOKER TAPIOCA

4 cups whole milk
2/3 cup white sugar
3/4 cup small pearl tapioca
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Stir together all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours until set. You must stir during cooking otherwise the ingredients will separate. I stir every half hour or so. You can also cook this on high in 2.5 hours but you really have to watch it to prevent the milk from curdling. Even thought it takes longer, I've found that it tastes better if you cook on low heat.

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy eating!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?