Children's Books

I am not a bibliophile.  I love reading but I prefer to keep my books at the library for someone else to take care of.  I have a few that I treasure or use for reference but I am not a collector.  In fact, I don't like holding on to things that lack utility or sentiment and that is how I feel about most books.  When my space is cluttered with things, my mind is too and it is an uncomfortable way for me to live.


When it comes to books my husband and I are total opposites.  He loves them.  The physical object, old and tattered or new and crisp, is a joy to him.  His books are like friends that hold memories and the idea that he would part with them is ludicrous.  


As you might imagine, we are at odds about his book collection.  We are also at odds about our children's books, but in a different way.  I love that my girls love books.  We probably have a couple hundred and I treasure most of them.  I love to watch them read or make up stories from the pictures.  My heart swells when they make reference to something we've read in a story.  The idea that we would live in a house without books in my kids' rooms is just sad to me.  


That doesn't really resonate with my husband.  He just hates picking the damn things up all the time.  It's like he and I have totally switched personalities!


Since there isn't likely to ever be a resolution on the state of the books in this house, I thought I would share with you some of my favorite children's books:


Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak


The Paperboy by Dav Pilkey


Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran


The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats


No, David by David Shannon


Strega Nona by Tomie De Poala


Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Suess


Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina 


Zen Ties by John Muth


There's a Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone


The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Audrey Wood


Of course, there are a few books that I can't stand.  Most notably, the Fancy Nancy series and Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess.


So, what children's books do you love and which ones can't you get out of the house fast enough? 

Comments

  1. I'm definitely sentimental about my books. I was just looking at my nightstand last night...it's piled pretty high with the books I've read over the past few months...primarily because there's no room to put those books in the bookcase.

    Once upon a time, I would go back and read books a second or third time (with a span of a few years in between). I haven't done that over the past few years, though, as I don't have nearly as much time to read since the girls were born.

    I need to really ask myself what I want to save, and why. Something's gotta give, as I don't want to invest in another bookcase!

    Thanks for this list of your kiddos' faves! I'm familiar with some of the titles, but not all. I'll definitely add them to my list to peruse the next time I'm at the bookstore. I feel like I have a near-addiction to children's books...but at least my "addiction" seems to be rubbing off on the girls, in a good way.

    It's amazing to me what a new book can do for our week! They're still at the stage where they want to hear a new book 15 times, over and over and over...but I can't complain about that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faves: A Tree is Nice...One Morning in Maine...Swimmy...My Many Colored Days...everything by EB White...and a gazillion others.

    Couldn't get rid of fast enough? Berenstain Bears books! We liked them for awhile, and then I got dead sick of them. Fancy Nancy too...couldn't stand those...probably more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on team husband with this one. I love books and find it so hard to part with any at all. We have had boxes full of books sat in our garage for the three years that we have lived here, never unpacked since we arrived from the U.K. Finally last week we bought more bookcases, and for me it was like meeting old friends. My husband however, is in your camp, and only reads on vacation. He will read a book a day on the beach but at home he doesn't touch them. My children use the library a lot. This way we have access to so many book and true favorites can be purchased later. I have taken note of your recommendations and will be looking for them this weekend. Have a great day, Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?