Whole Foods Ruined It

I hate mayonaise.  Truly.  I find it absolutely disgusting.  Mix mayonaise with a decent food like tuna fish and I just about lose my marbles.  Why, oh why, does it have to be so?  Can't there be a better way to have your tuna sandwich?

Well, it turns out there is.  Several years ago, I discovered a tuna salad at Whole Foods which was mayonaise-free.  It had olive oil and lemon and all sort of glorious other ingredients.  It was delicious on everything but I particularly liked to eat it on French rye with a slice of Swiss cheese.  (Very international, I know.)  I started making my own and it became the perfect light summer meal.  Here's the rough recipe:

Mayo-Free Tuna

1 pkg. of solid white tuna
juice from one lemon
olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 a green apple
handful of dried, sweetened cranberries
salt and pepper

Mix together. (All ingredients can be altered to suit your taste.)

A couple of days ago I was in Whole Foods and saw the apple and cranberry tuna salad in the premade food section.  It looked different (and thus caught my eye) so I read the ingredients for the first time in years.  There it was right at the top of the list:  mayonaise.  Gone were the lemon juice and olive oil. 

Bastards.  Oh well, make your own and you might still have money left over to send your kid to college.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?