Our Advent Tree

I don't have an official advent calendar because I refuse to pay good money for something I could make myself.  The problem is I never seem to remember to make one before December 1.

A few years ago, I sewed 25 tiny little Christmas bags but that was as far as I got.  Last year, I put the chocolate and stickers in the little bags but there was no official calendar. So, this year-- five and a half years after I had my first child, I created a calendar.  Well, actually, an advent tree.

I took some twigs from the yard and spray painted them red with paint I had on hand.  Then I scrounged up 25 clothespins and numbered them.  I cut up little squares of card stock and wrote my daily idea on each one.  Then I put the cards in the bags, hung them from the branches, and voila:


Our Advent Tree!  It's not the fanciest thing but it does the trick.

Since today is December 1, the girls opened their first card and we made real hot chocolate on the stove.  I think I overdosed on the chocolate myself but the girls loved it. See what I mean?



Yeah, I don't know what is up with the Flashdance headband either.

Comments

  1. Your tree looks great...worth the wait, I'd say. ;)

    On a whim I offered the girls hot chocolate today. We read about it in stories from time to time, but they'd never had any. We went for a (very cold) walk this morning, and I said that would be a special treat when we got home. I just heated a little milk with some Hershey's syrup, to make it quick. I tasted it and thought it was good...but they hardly took two sips!

    In all, I'm not sad that they didn't drink it...they didn't need the sugar anyway...but it sure did baffle me! Hello...warm chocolate and milk, here! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! I think it is very creative and looks wonderful! How fun to write little ideas on cards. We always just get the ones with small chocolates for each day. Maybe I'll try this next year instead. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?