These Boots Were Made for Hiking and That's Just What They'll Do

Guess what I did this weekend?  I hiked these mountains:


Now I know what you are thinking.  Mama Mama you are a homebody.  You pay someone to make you exercise.  You are not the type to go on a 9 mile hike in the snow and ice in mid-November.  

'Tis true fair readers, 'tis true.  I ended up doing this because I had a plan and it backfired.  BIG TIME.  Let me explain. Back in August, my sister watched the Young Contrarians so my husband and I could have a night away from our children.  We went to this resort in Connecticut and had a wonderfully relaxing time.  We also spent most of the time planning how we could do this sort of thing again.  I knew then that another night away would be Mark's birthday gift. 

When my husband's birthday arrived a few weeks ago, he was thrilled when I announced that we could go away again. I told him that we could do whatever he wanted which is when all this planning backfired on me.  Instead of relaxing in a heated pool somewhere, he said that he wanted to do a long hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  (Why, after all these years together, would I think he would NOT want to go hiking?  I am an idiot.)  

So hiking we did.  It was a long, difficult hike with snow, ice, and wind.  I expected it to be a test of my fitness but that actually turned out to be a non-issue.  (Believe in miracles people.)  What I found so challenging was the mental aspect of the climb.  I am very risk-averse which makes me a slow, deliberate hiker.  The first two miles of the descent were extremely rocky and covered in ice.  I just did not see how I was going to get down the trail without cracking my head open, knocking Mark down too, and turning my girls into orphans. (See where my mind goes??!) That is when I started crying.  

Apparently, there's no crying in hiking.  After a hug and a pep talk, I did it.  I did not fall and I did not crack my head open. Best of all, I got to say that I kept up with my super-hiker husband and made it home in time for bedtime snuggles from the girls.

I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Comments

  1. Your writing is always good for a chuckle. Hilarious

    Good for you for hiking those mountains! I bet it felt like a HUGE accomplishment!

    I did this high ropes course one time. We were all harnessed in (two times over)---no way we were going to fall, but me and hights just don't get along. So, anyway, I was up there, all harnessed in, safe and sound, and I bawled like a baby. I will tell you, there's no crying in high ropes courses either, because you have to get down--somehow. So, you have to keep going in order to get down. I did it, but I hated it.

    You did it, and you loved it. Yours is a way better story. Just wanted to chime in with my related story :) Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next project: write a book. I love your witty writing. Thanks for the grin. And congrats on the hike!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway There Giveaway

Peace and Quiet

What Is a Good Mother?